Stainless Steel AL-6XN
ASTM B 688, B 691, B 675 / 676
B 462, B 366, B 564, B 804
Forms of AL-6XN Available at Nickel Alloy Corporation
- Pipe & Tube (welded & seamless)
- Fittings (i.e. flanges, slip-ons, blinds, weld-necks, lapjoints, long welding necks, socket welds, elbows, tees, stub-ends, returns, caps, crosses, reducers, and pipe nipples)
AL6XN is a superaustenitic stainless steel with outstanding resistance to chloride pitting, crevice corrosion and stress corrosion cracking. AL6XN is a 6 moly alloy that was developed for and is used in highly aggressive environments. It has high nickel (24%), molybdenum (6.3%), nitrogen and chromium contents that give it excellent resistance to chloride stress corrosion cracking, chloride pitting, and exceptional general corrosion resistance. AL6XN is primarily used for its improved pitting and crevice corrosion resistance in chlorides. It is a formable and weldable stainless steel.
Because of its nitrogen content, AL6XN has greater tensile strength than common austentitic stainlesses, while retaining high ductility and impact strength.
Chromium, molybdenum, nickel and nitrogen all contribute to overall resistance to corrosion by vari
ous media. Chromium is the principal agent for conferring corrosion resistance in neutral or oxidizing environments. Chromium, molybdenum and nitrogen increase resistance to pitting corrosion. Nickel imparts the austenitic structure. Nickel and molybdenum both provide increased resistance to chloride stress corrosion cracking in reducing environments.
What are the characteristics of AL-6XN?
- Excellent resistance to pitting and crevice corrosion in chloride solutions
- Practical immunity to stress corrosion in NaCl environments
- High Strength and toughness
Chemical Composition, %
|23.5-25.5||20.00-22.00||6.00-7.00||0.03 Max||0.18-0.25||2.0 Max|
|1.00 Max||.040 Max||0.03 Max||0.75 Max||Remainder|
In what applications is AL-6XN used?
- Reverse osmosis desalination equipment and pumps
- FGD Scrubbers
- Chemical process tanks and pipelines
- Seawater heat exchangers
- Tall oil distillation columns and packing
- Offshore oil and gas production equipment
- Pulp bleaching plant washers, vats, press rolls and pipelines
|Pipe Welded||Tube Welded||Sheet/Plate||Bar||Flanges & Fittings|
|B675, A312||B676, A249||B688, A240||B691, A479||B462, A182|
Representative Tensile and Impact Properties, Plate
|Temp. °F (°C)||Ult. Tensile Strength, psi||.2% Yield Strength, psi||Elongation in 2”, percent||Charpy V-Notch Toughness, ft-lb|